Saturday, August 13, 2011

Trains of Reality - Part 4




















(PART - 4)

Returning to Reno, I was now looking forward to graduation and to the new position of self-sufficiency.  For most people the thought of renting an apartment up a tilted flight of creaking wooden stairs in the middle of the slum section of town just wouldn't sound appealing at all.  For me it was the practical thing to do; low rent and starting at the bottom, like the old Third Ward eighteen years before.   

But reality doesn't end at the bottom.  Progress is also real.  So matching my wits against those that formulate college entrance exams, I succeeded in being accepted at Brigham Young University.  And once again another train, another awakening.

Arriving in January for the spring semester, I felt a splendid aura of newness in the phenomenon of majestic nature.  The sun was brilliant, but it could just as well have been cloudy.  The mountains were cleverly carved in ice, but could have been entirely void of snow.  The impact would have been the same.

Persons passed by at a pace slow enough to count, calm enough to be reassuring, and aimed with confident direction.  For once, I found a part of reality so good that to me it seemed UNreal!

No comments:

Post a Comment